[wisb] Harris Sparrow, Orchard Oriole, 22 Warblers - Buffalo Co - Tiffany Bottoms

  • From: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 12:57:54 -0700 (PDT)

I birded Tiffany Bottoms this morning. I walked in on the Tram Train tracks
right at Hwy 25 and Thibodeau Rd.  I walked past the tran cars and saw an adult
Harris Sparrow with a couple of White-crowned Sparrows.  You must walk the
tracks for about 1/2 a mile south and then cross a 250 railroad tie bridge -
but once you get by that, the birding was very good this morning.  Like
Pheasant Branch, most all of the birds are low or on the ground. Most birds I
saw were on the ground or very low. I found 22 species of warbler, and 9
sparrows. A Raven flew over, kited right above me and few off and vocalized.
On the way back at the Harris Sparrow spot I saw a female Orchard Oriole -
quite a suprise.

I'd dub Tiffany Bottoms the Pheasant Branch of the west - Just image what might
have been found there today with about 20 hot shot birders plying up and down
the tracks this morning.  Below are the 22 warblers and 9 sparrows and a few
other species from the
e-bird report.

Location:     Tiffany Wildlife Area
Observation date:     5/10/11