[wisb] Halloween Owls, Buena Vista Grasslands

  • From: janzg@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "wisbirdn: freelists.org" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:25:14 -0400 (EDT)

I took advantage of the quiet evening to follow up on Alyssa DeRubeis'
Short-eared Owl sighting in the BVGL.  A single bird was encountered
along Lake Road as well as a sunset(sort of) fly by of 5 Greater Prairie
Chickens.  Turning south on Townline Road I flushed another Short-eared
from the middle of the road.  At the intersection of Griffith and 130th
I hit it big with 6 owls silhouetted against the western sky.  The birds
were interacting and vocalizing and slowly drifted to the southeast.
Heading south again on Townline Road south of Cty.W 2 more Short-ears
flashed in front of the headlights for a total 10 birds in an hour.  I
stopped a number of times along Townline to listen and had 2 Great
Horned owls calling south of Mill Road and several stops later was
treated to the repeated whinny calls of an Eastern Screech Owl just
north of Cty. D.

Happy Halloween,
Gerry Janz
Stevens Point, Portage County