[wisb] Gulf oil disaster and what we can do to help

*****************
Gulf oil disaster and what we can do to help

We are all very concerned about the huge BP oil disaster occurring in
the Gulf and the effect it may/will have on the millions of birds - and
other wildlife species - that are nesting and breeding in the path of
what could become America's worst environmental catastrophe. What can we
possibly do to help?

 From the beginning, National Audubon has been involved, joining with
other national groups to coordinate efforts to help where needed,
working with local chapters along the Gulf, and posting the latest
information on their website (http://audubon.org/). Coordinating efforts
at the national and local levels, volunteers are being linked with
specific tasks as the disaster unfolds. To volunteer, especially if you
have specific skills in wildlife rescue or other emergency support, sign
up on the website above.

_*Here are additional ways we can all help*_:

* _Stay informed_. The latest news, especially about the effect of the
oil on birds and wildlife, can be found on Audubon's homepage:
http://audubon.org/

* _Take action_. Contact your legislators and urge them to fully fund
efforts to restore habitat along the Gulf coast, particularly Louisiana,
and to support safer energy solutions.

* _Donate money_. All funds will be used wisely for restoration,
volunteer efforts, and sound energy policy work. More information can be
found on Audubon's homepage: http://audubon.org/

* _Do all you can to save energy_. Consider biking, walking, or taking
mass transit whenever possible. Consolidate or share trips. Try doing a
BIGBY (Big Green Big Year - see Green Birding
<http://www.sparroworks.ca/CA/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=115:green-birding-&catid=58:green-birding&Itemid=66>),

a fun, carbon-neutral way to see how many bird species you can see by
walking or biking (or paddling) from home or work. Make it a competition
if you like - several people in Wisconsin already are!

* _Do whatever you can to restore and improve habitat_. From planting a
few native species in your yard to attract birds and the insects they
depend upon, to using fewer (or no) pesticides, to encouraging your
community to become a "Bird City Wisconsin" (see
http://www.birdcitywisconsin.org/), there are a myriad of ways to
bolster declining populations of birds that breed, winter, or migrate
through Wisconsin. For more ideas see:
http://www.audubon.org/bird/at_home/Healthy_Yard.html

Take what action(s) you can, send any additional ideas of how we can all
help - and thanks for your concern.

Karen
--

Karen Etter Hale

2nd Vice President, Wisconsin Audubon Council
Executive Secretary, Madison Audubon Society
222 S Hamilton St, Suite 1
Madison, WI 53703-3201
608/255-BIRD (2473)

/--Making Time for Birds/