[wisb] Grassland birds, Washington Co.

  • From: Tuftedtitmouse2@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:38:50 EDT

Hi All,
"Timber Stone," a former gravel pit turned subdivision that has been under
development for a few years, was very good for grassland sparrows last
Sunday.  I use the term "subdivision" loosely, since Timber Stone has had  only
a handful of houses built in it thus far, leaving lots of open-field
habitat to develop over the last 4-5 years.

Location: On the south side of Hubertus Road, just east of Hillside Road in
 Hubertus (Village of Richfield), Washington Co.

I cruised through there last Sunday morning and had great looks and
"listens" at GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, VESPER SPARROWS, SAVANNAH SPARROWS, HORNED
LARKS, EASTERN MEADOWLARKS, and EASTERN KINGBIRDS, and fellow travelers.
There are also a couple of small, shallow ponds that were good for swallows,
SPOTTED SANDPIPERS, etc.

Regards,

Scott Diehl
Richfield, Washington Co., SE WI