[wisb] Re: GBB or LBB gull? Kenosha

Hi all,

Especially based on the extensive head streaking, I'd say classic graellsii 
race Lesser Black-Backed Gull like the ones that nested on the roof of my local 
supermarket in the UK. These also have quite powerful bills and slate grey 
upperparts. Great Black-Backed Gull is just a 'cleaner' looking bird.

Regards

Stuart Malcolm
Appleton

Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Nov 2011, at 01:04, Dennis Kuecherer <kuechererdennis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with Tom:� Living� on the east coast for so many years during service 
> time, I had daily contact with Lesser's and Great's.� Great Black-backed or 
> Greater Black-backed... .� .hmm� .
> Happy holidays,. Dennis Kuecherer, Ozaukee Cty
> 
> ________________________________
> From: Tom Schultz <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx; dedlnr@xxxxxxxxxxx 
> Cc: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
> Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 11:42 PM
> Subject: [wisb] Re: GBB or LBB gull? Kenosha
> 
> I'd have to say that I disagree with Chris on the gull ID -- I believe it to 
> be a Lesser Black-backed.� Although the bill seems somewhat large, that may 
> be partially an illusion, since the head/bill may be in profile while the 
> body is more of a 3/4 view.� To me it does not appear especially heavy, in 
> terms of the thickness relative to the length.�  The eye also seems 
> relatively large relative to the bill size, while a Greater's eye tends to 
> be proportionally smaller.
> 
> The mantle/upperparts color also seems more dark gray than blackish, and 
> unlike Lessers, adult Great Black-backs usually don't have much dusky 
> mottling on the head & neck in winter.
> 
> Unfortunately the leg color doesn't show in this photo, but I believe that 
> they would be yellowish.
> 
> Tom Schultz
> Green Lake Co.
> 
> 
> -----Original Message----- 
> From: Chris West
> Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 11:07 PM
> To: dedlnr@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Cc: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [wisb] Re: GBB or LBB gull? Kenosha
> 
> The gull is a Great Black-backed. Check out that bill.
> The Loon is a Common, bill again.
> The duck appears to be a domestic mallard.
> 
> 
> 
> --Chris W, Richland County
> Sent from my iPod
> 
> On Nov 25, 2011, at 22:44, John Krerowicz <dedlnr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 
>> We came across what we believe is a lesser black backed gull at the 
>> Southport Marina in Kenosha on Saturday. However, I just saw photos of a 
>> Greater BBG on wisbird, and now I'm not so sure. We also saw a pintail 
>> duck, a hybrid mallard and, at Lake Andrea in Pleasant Prairie, a loon.
>> 
>> If anyone has a few moments to double check these birds, I've posted them 
>> on our website:
>> 
>> http://ourwildlifewebsite.info/Nov.25.2011.html
>> 
>> We have 3 questions:
>> 
>> 1. Is the gull a greater or lesser BB?
>> 2. Any idea what the mallard is a hybrid with?
>> 3. Is the loon a common or otherwise?
>> 
>> Thanks much.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> John Krerowicz
>> 
>> dedlnr@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> ####################
>> You received this email because you are subscribed to the Wisconsin 
>> Birding Network (Wisbirdn).
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
>> http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
>> To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
>> http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
>> Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn
>> 
>> 
>> 
> ####################
> You received this email because you are subscribed to the Wisconsin Birding 
> Network (Wisbirdn).
> To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
> http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
> http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn
> 
> ####################
> You received this email because you are subscribed to the Wisconsin Birding 
> Network (Wisbirdn).
> To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
> http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
> http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn
> ####################
> You received this email because you are subscribed to the Wisconsin Birding 
> Network (Wisbirdn).
> To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
> http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
> http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn
> 
> 
####################
You received this email because you are subscribed to the Wisconsin Birding 
Network (Wisbirdn).
To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use the Wisbirdn web interface at: 
http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn


Other related posts: