[wisb] Frautschi Point - UW Madison campus this a.m.

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:11:22 -0500

The radar last night was lit up, so I was hopeful that things would be
hopping in the Frautschi/Picnic Point woods this morning, and they were.
Six or seven birders met at 7:00 and spent some time right by the
parking lot - I apparently missed a Cape May Warbler (which I need for
the year) while getting my stuff out of the car.  We followed the flock
along the lakeshore, and hit another later on.  Ended up with 55
species, including 16 spp. of warblers (by Peter Gorman's count.)  Lots
and lots of Am. Redstarts, good numbers of Tennessees, and two or three
each of Blackburnian, BT Green, No. Parula, Bay-breasted, Magnolia,
Nashville, Chestnut-sided, Palm, etc.  Also at least three Philly Vireos
(four of us had a flock out on the edge of the Biocore Prairie after the
others had to leave - we had outstanding close looks at two
Philadelphias just above eye level) and a Veery in the deeper woods.
Also had a Scarlet Tanager on the edge of the prairie.

Hawks seemed to be on the wing, too - had flyover Sharpie, Broad-winged,
Red-tail and Osprey, and the remnants of the group saw a perched Great
Horned Owl enduring the jeers of a bunch of Blue Jays and WB Nuthatches.
It was a great morning to be out - really hard to come in to work after
that.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.