[wisb] Re: Fish line deters HOSPs from feeders

I've found that removing perches from feeders keeps the House Sparrows away, as
well. It worked very well for me in Indiana before I moved to Milwaukee.

Of course the feeders need to have some wire mesh or other material so the
other birds can find a foothold so they can feed. Here are the feeders that
worked for me:

1. This feeder from Wild Birds Unlimited has perches, but they can be flipped
up. I tied them up with garbage bag twisty ties, just in case an enterprising
HOSP figured out how to flip them down. Birds cling to a metal mesh to get at
the feeding ports:

http://tinyurl.com/y87zpy8

2. And this Duncraft feeder has no perches. The feeder is surrounded by a wire
cage:

http://bit.ly/nP3r5h

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee