[wisb] First Orange-crowned Warblers of year

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:21:39 -0600

I got out in my yard for a couple hours this morning. Wasn't surprised to not
find too much given the radar was pretty weak last night. Had only 9 species of
warblers (most in one flock) and not big numbers of anything other than Palms.
Most notable were my first ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS of the year, 2-3 birds. Also
more Yellow-rumps.

While warbler diversity appears to be waning, sparrow action is picking up. I
had excellent numbers of SWAMP and LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, with ~10 of each. Also a
lingering CLAY-COLORED, among other species.

Lastly, also had my first good push of LAPLAND LONGSPURS with multiple small
groups flying overhead. Plus a lone AMERICAN PIPIT.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady