[wisb] Re: Field sparrows on a feeder (Milwaukee Co)

  • From: Heather Kauffman <hlkauffman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:02:20 -0700 (PDT)

Funny you should say that. This winter, for the first time ever, I had several
Dark-eyed Juncos eating at my thistle tube feeder. Not only did they dine
they chased off any Goldfinch that perched for a few morsels of thistle.
bolder, they started visiting my suet cage as well, and chased goldfinches away
from that. Has anyone ever seen this behavior before? I've always known Juncos
as docile ground feeders. With the early spring, most (though not all) of the
Juncos have departed, and the Goldfinches have been able to return to the
By way of introduction, I'm new to the list though not new to birds, and live
Madison with my daughters, partner, and two small dogs.

Heather Kauffman
Madison, WI
Dane County