[wisb] Fascinating bird behavior

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 08:38:46 -0500

Saw a couple of really interesting things while birding yesterday.  At
Mud Lake Wildlife Area in Columbia County, a pair of Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers were divebombing a female Brown-headed Cowbird as she sat
on a branch.  I wondered if she had already parasitized their nest, or
did they recognize the threat she posed before that even happened?

At Harvey Rd., as John Romano and I were scoping the shorebirds and
trying to get a somewhat accurate count, I panned the scope onto a small
group of Wilson's Phalaropes and saw two females in a tussle.  The fight
went on for at least 30 seconds as a couple of males nearby fed
peaceably.  I'm not sure who "won", although one of the females had been
getting the upper hand, so to speak, before they broke it up.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI