[wisb] Fall arrivals in Oshkosh

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:33:03 -0700 (PDT)

 Happy 15th, folks.  First of all, has anybody been seeing any Broadwings yet
even though we haven't had any decent or appropriate weather for any hawk
migrations?  Unless they're postponing their flight due to this constant fair
weather.  I did see, however my first southbound flock of geese this a.m.  High
up and about 20 birds.  Yesterday on the other hand Miller's Bay had a handful
of waterbirds, including ~100 coots, some redheads, scaup and some unIDed
dabblers, due to distance I'm guessing they were teal.  Also present were the
usual cormorants and pelicans.
   Late report from last Friday,  my weekly visit to the Anderson sod farm
proved the same things again, so nothing new, maybe just fewer killdeer and
larks, but the jaunt down Center Rd. from BB gave me 3 new FOMs,  1 of them,
according to my records, a September first of all time, Black-billed cuckoo
!!!   The other 2 were swamp sparrow and RB grosbeak.
     In closing, I guess we should just keep our eyes to the sky anyway.
Something just might be there, hawk-wise, that is.  Good luck.
     Paul Bruce, from his Migration Station in Oshkosh,
     Winnebago Co.