[wisb] Eurasian Tree Sparrow

  • From: "Audrey & Larry Johnson" <lorilynnfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:37:34 -0500

I decided to drive down to Cambria to look for the Eurasian Tree Sparrow this
morning.  When I arrived at 225 Madison Street, Jack Bartholmai was in his
blind with his camera.  He graciously made room for me and even had a spare
chair.  He said that the sparrow had been seen quite regularly today and within
about 5 minutes, the bird came in to the feast of millet that was spread on the
ground.  A little later, both of the E. Tree Sparrows came in to the feeders.
As I was preparing to leave, Jack told me that he thought an Eared Grebe was on
Grassy Lake.  So I programmed Audrey Two and took off.  There were many Pied
Billed Grebes, of course but about in the middle of the lake was a Red-necked
Grebe.  It took a while but I did finally find the Eared Grebe also.  A group
of black headed gulls on the far side of the lake I took to be Bonaparte's but
one of them did not have any black on its head that I could see and seemed to
stay slightly away from the rest.

Larry Johnson
Sparta, WI