[wisb] Early Vesper Sparrow & some nice butterflies

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:47:35 -0600

I had the day off on Monday and ventured into the woods south of Ashland and
just north of Clam Lake.  On my way I had a singing VESPER SPARROW on Four
Corners Rd south of Sanborn -- the earliest I've ever found here.  Also two
TRUMPETER SWANS on the White River above the dam off Hwy 112.  The woods were
quiet yet with only WINTER WRENS and YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS in any numbers.
Two EVENING GROSBEAKS and some PINE SISKINS were the only "winter finches" I
encountered.

For the butterfly enthusiasts, the big highlights were quite a few SATYR COMMAS
and GREEN COMMAS.
http://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/sightings/5345
http://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/sightings/5346

Ryan Brady