[wisb] Draining of Wangness and Harvey Rd Lake in Columbia Co

  • From: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 17:11:56 -0700 (PDT)

The farmer who owns the land that has been under water the last 2 years that
has attracted just about every possible shorebird and Eared Grebes and all
other sorts or waterfowl, told me today that he has been in the process of
draining the lake/pond. He says he needs to farm it and in the last 30 years,
the last 2 years are the only years he has not.

I wish I would have had the where-with-all to ask him if it would make
financial sense if he sold the flooded areas to the Nature Conservancy or
Madison Audubon. The numbers of waterfowl and shorebirds in this location has
been phenominal. But I was told " this will be all drained so don't get used to
birding here".