[wisb] Dodge County: Observation on Black-necked Stilts and nesting activity

  • From: "Carl Schwartz" <cschwartz3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:19:46 -0500

Following up on an earlier posting on ithe ncreasing number of Stilts at
Horicon:

Returning from the WSO convention in Sturgeon Bay on Sunday afternoon (5/23),
nine of us visited Horicon Marsh. We observed a total of at least 8 and
possibly 9 of these birds. Five were seen at the west end of the large
open-water area south of Highway 49. One male and one female appeared to be
moving around as a pair.

A very short time later, on the south side of the Main Dike, just west of the
water control structure, we observed three individuals (and perhaps a fourth).
The highlight of our visit was discovering a pair of the Stilts on a nest. We
watched the female sitting on what appeared to be a precariously-positioned
nest on a small area of mud barely above the water. She was approached by a
male Stilt and then stood up and walked away. The male appeared to manipulate
the egg(s) with his bill, perhaps turning them, then sat down on the nest as
the female moved away and fed for some time.

We would have watched longer but became distracted by what turned out to be six
Black-bellied Plovers and the ensuing discussion about the differences in their
plumage.

I was a great end to five days of birding on the way to, at, and returning from
a great WSO convention.

Carl Schwartz
Milwaukee County