[wisb] Directions to Stateline Beach- Winthrop Harbor, IL

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:25:15 -0500

I have recieved quite a few backchannels about how to get to Stateline Beach so
I thought I would post directions for anybody who is planning on trying to find
the California Gull.

Since I'm not too familiar with the Kenosha/Winthrop Harbor area this may not
be the best way to get there but it is the way I took and it worked fine. From
I94/41 exit at Hwy 165 towards Pleasant Prairie. Drive east towards Lake
Michigan to Hwy 32 (also called Sheridan Rd) and follow it south into Illinois.
You will see brown signs for the North Point Marina--follow them and once you
enter the marina continue north as far as you can go and you will see the beach
parking lot.

One note is that there is quite a bit of construction on the I94/41 on and off
ramps so in case 165 is closed just take any other main East/West exit in the
area to the east and it will eventually lead to Hwy 32.

As Sean, Bob, and I have posted previously-- the beach is in Illinois and the
WI/IL border is marked by a channel immediately north of the beach. When I saw
the gull it was in Wisconsin for 5 seconds out of my 2.5 hour observation so it
may take some patience to see this bird fly into WI once you find it.

Good luck,

Tom Prestby

Madison