[wisb] Did I say "chores"....? (WAUK & MKE CTYS)

  • From: Karen Johnson & Jim Toth <kmjrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISBIRD <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:33:11 -0700 (PDT)

Oops, I guess I meant "SHORES" - I have "SHORES" to do!  Alright, I got up at
6AM for the W-F IBIS in Muskego!  I got there at 0700 and the bird finally came
out at 0750!  Cool bird, lousy light for color but who cares?  I also saw 2
SORAS and 1 VIRGINIA RAIL running around, several nesting CANADA GEESE and a
couple of MALLARDS.  I missed the SANDHILL CRANE (it was POUNDING rain!).
From there I went to Dumphy Lake on CTY OO just north of Hwy 36.  GREAT EGRET,
GREAT BLUE HERON and several FORSTERS" TERNS.  This is the lake where the
Franklin Osprey fish I think.  Speaking of the Ospreys, looks like mom is on
the WE nest just north of Ryan Road on 116th in St. Martin's Village.  Her head
was bobbing up and down (at least I presumed it was her head!). Also, at the
corner of Ryan Road and CTY OO
is Luther Park Cemetary.  As I understand it, this parcel of land was never
plowed, so many native plants thrive here to this day.  The Burr Oaks are
probably the descendants of virgin Burr Oaks go by...  It is periodically
burned to preserve this flavor.  Anyone can visit anytime.

I was going to go to the sod farms but I was running out of time!  I see that
Steve Lubahn picked up some nice species there.  (More "SHORES" for tomorrow I
guess!)

MGCI - I found 100+ BONAPARTE'S GULLS and about 50 CASPIAN TERNS hunkered down
in the back 40.  In the front 40, there are DUNLINS, MALLARDS, BLUE-WINGED TEAL
and GADWALLS.  I did not see any AVOCETS.

At the Warnimont Golf Course parking lot was a lone KENTUCKY WARBLER foraging
in the ground vegetation near the dumpsters!!!

All over the Lakefront, 100's of Swallows soaring above the bluffs and over the
lawn areas up top.  Mostly BANKS but also R-W, BARN and TREE.  PURPLE MARTINS
at South Shore Park with 100+ BONIES here with a few dozen CASPIAN TERNS.

Well it's 1:30PM and I'm due at work at 2:30PM!

More "chores" er, that's "shores" tomorrow!

Karen

Karen Johnson and Jim Toth

Milwaukee (SE)

BayView area