[wisb] Devil's Lake solitaire

  • From: Josh Engel <jengel5230@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 12:19:31 -0800 (PST)

Taking Peter Fissel's parking advice, Lizzie Condon and I quickly found a
Townsend's Solitaire at Devil's Lake late this morning (5 December 2010).  The
solitaire was with a large mixed species flock that included five Eastern
Bluebirds and a flicker among a variety of other typical winter birds.  We
walked due south from the Steinke Basin parking lot, continuing south on the
Upland trail after the four-way trail intersection where the Steinke Basin
trail
breaks off to the east.   The flock was a bit south of the trail intersection
where the Upland trail descends and the habitat opens up.  The solitaire was
feeding rather fearlessly on wild grapes on the west side of the trail here.
After Devil's Lake we visited the very impressive feeding station at the Ski-Hi
Orchards.  One female-type Purple Finch was present among the throngs of
typical
feeder birds.  A siskin was on a feeder in a yard on South Shore Rd. between
Devil's Lake and Ski-Hi.

Thanks to everyone for updates and directions.  It was a beautiful day to be
out.

Josh Engel
Evanston, IL
jengel5230@xxxxxxxxx