[wisb] Re: DNR step in

   I totally concur with Brian and others on this. This farmer obviously
had a grudge to bear and I'm sure he is the guy who contacted the DNR.
The feeders were out in the middle of no where and bothering no one. The feeder
stations were a wonderful asset to get easy close up looks
at various species and there were NO wolf or coyote tracks around the
feeders.  Brian and I talked about this while we were up there. If
wolves or coyotes were present at these feeders they could have and
would have easily tore these carcasses down which were only held up by
small rope a couple of feet off the ground. The last day we were there
a couple of them were tore down and laying along side the road.... only
human footprints going in to where they were  originally hanging
though.  Another instance of one disgruntled person ruining something
for a lot of people. Maybe reason can win out yet. One thing for
birders to remember going here and elsewhere.... the locals didn't
always have the best view of birders. It always helps to be friendly to
the locals and to respect their land and to try to be a bit generous
and respectful when visiting the local establishments.

      One thing Brian didn't mention in his post was that we were lucky
to witness the banding of a Northern Hawk Owl. A couple of guys who
have done alot of banding in the bog baited in an owl right behind us
while we were parked and photographing it from the vehicle. We weren't
expecting it, and it was a bit of a surprise to suddenly see the owl
fly in right behind their vehicle in our review mirrors. They were nice
enough to let us get a close look at the owl and watch the banding
procedure and get a few close ups of the bird.  They also gave us a
nice review of their banding activities and results over the years!
Very Cool!  The owl appeared much smaller in hand than it does sitting
out in the wild.

     Anyway, for anyone who hasn't made a trip to Sax Zim it is well
worth it.... feeders or not.  ( a few more Great Grays would be nice but we
can't have it everything all of the time!) There were very good numbers of birds
present in most areas.....  seemingly much better than the reports from
northern Wisconsin lately and a nice change from southern Ohio for me
as of late. I've had time to put up more photos from the trip at
http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks/new_photos  Probably will have a some more up
over the next few days yet.

Dave Freriks

Chesapeake, OH and part time S. Wisconsin.