[wisb] Re: Counting Bohemian Waxwings

  • From: Nancy Richmond <polarpastor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:37:43 -0600

Hi All -
I'm guessing my earlier report of Bohemians seen while shoveling snow
brought this topic to the fore. When I see a flock, I first estimate, since
who knows how long they'll be in that particular spot. Then I estimate
systematically - by groups of 5 or 10 or 50 or whatever. Then, if they're
still around I'll count them one by one or in small groups. And then I count
them again.
I too have noticed that my initial estimates tend to be low. And I've gotten
a sense of how far off I'm likely to be. So I adjust my initial estimate
accordingly. In years when I see them often or see the same flocks
repeatedly, my estimating gets more accurate. I get a sense of how many the
flock I'm seeing is.

My observation of the flock I saw this morning was so brief  I only had time
for the first estimate. The difference in estimate and reality stands for
birds in flight and in trees. Ever been watching a group feeding then they
fly off and 2 or 3 more flocks appear to join them that you didn't even know
were there? I love it!

Nancy Richmond
Polar Langlade co and Rhinelander Oneida co.