[wisb] Re: Corn...off topic

  • From: "Sommer, Joan" <joan.sommer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:51:42 -0600

Hello,

As a farmer's wife in a bad year I have been out there driving the combine in
the middle of winter with snow on the ground harvesting corn. Barbara is
correct in the reasons why.....need to dry the corn down naturally so you don't
have to use so much energy to dry it in the bin. And with corn you just need to
have the corn head clear the top of the snow in order to harvest.  there is a
loss to yield, usually pretty significant.

We call that kind of corn "365 day corn" instead of the standard 90 or 100 day
corn......

Joan Sommer
Fredonia
N. Ozaukee County