[wisb] Columbia County Big Day today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 22:24:20 -0500

Our team of Nolan Pope, Peter Gorman, John Romano and myself did Columbia
County for the Madison Audubon Big Birding Day today.  MAS largely follows the
ABA Big Day rules, except with a modified 13-hour schedule (4:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- the early ending time is to allow teams from the seven-county South Central
Wisconsin area to make to Madison by 6:00 p.m. to turn in their results and
attend the banquet at 7:00.)

We started dark and early in the wind and rain at Mud Lake Wildlife Area.
After picking up some common birds at Hagan and Hanson Rds., we moved over to
Tollefson Rd. and finally heard a Sora (some of us heard a Virginia Rail at one
of those locations - can't remember which.)  After going to a couple of other
nearby spots and hearing a WHIP-POOR-WILL and peenting Am. Woodcock (one of the
latter nearly ended up in Peter Gorman's front grill,) then a fairly
unproductive trip to Grassy Lake, we returned to Mud Lake for passerines. On
our way in on Tollefson Rd., we saw a COMMON MOORHEN quite close to the road.
We hit about our only flock of warblers of the day just a little ways in on a
trail - had one very vocal CERULEAN WARBLER in with them.  As we were driving
back out, we stopped at the curve on Tollefson that overlooks the marsh to
listen for bitterns, but instead had a calling KING RAIL (easily our best bird
on the day.)

Overall, with the "lovely" weather (nothing like scoping shorebirds in the
driving sleet,) warblers and other passerines were fairly hard to come by.  We
did pick up some of our other "target" birds, such as EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE in
Arlington and BOBOLINKS at Pine Island W.A., and we did pretty well with 8
species of raptors (including PEREGRINES at Pine Island and Goose Pond.)
However, our anticipated shorebird bounty at Harvey/Wangsness was less than we
had hoped, with many fewer species than we had seen there during scouting
trips.  Best birds there were single AM. GOLDEN and BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS (the
former in stunning breeding plumage.)  Also had AMERICAN PIPITS (lots) and
LAPLAND LONGSPURS there.

At Schoeneberg Marsh, we ran into a couple of birders who said they'd heard
there was a female Ruff (aka Reeve) at Schumacher Rd. in Dane Co.  Since that
was on our way to the post-count banquet, we all stopped there a little after
5:00 p.m.  Most of the shorebirds were on the west side and the light was
terrible, so we didn't make much of an effort.  I'm not sure I'd recommend
anyone coming any distance to look for it without some sort of corroboration.

Peter Fissel
barely awake in
Madison, Dane Co.