[wisb] Columbia Co - Schoenburg Marsh, Mudd Lake, Harvey Rd

  • From: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:07:04 -0700 (PDT)

Birded from 7 Am to 1 PM. The most interesting sighting was on the eastside of
Schoenburg Marsh. Viewing from Mielke Rd, about 1/2 mile north of Harvey Rd
and looking east,  I saw a single gull flying around and got it in my scoope
and followed it around. The gull was all white except for a light gray mantle -
wingtips on both upper and lower wings were all white. I followed the bird as
it flew and banked and could plainly see the pure white wing tips on the upper
and lower surface of the wings. There were no other gulls flying around at this
point for a size comparison. I entered the gull on my e-bird report as a
Glaucous, 3rd cycle or adult.

At Mudd Lake I both saw and heard Virginia Rail. Hiked the trail from second
parking lot to the Y and went to the right until reaching the marsh. Marsh
Wrens and Common Moorhens are still present. There was a small warbler
movement, nothing special.

Harvey Rd and Wangness was pretty quiet. The lack of activity that Wayne found
on Monday still presists. Only 7 shorebird species and only about 20 total
shorebirds - best being 2 Stilts and 2 Shortbilled Dowitcher. Had a few
Waterpipits and Savanah Sparrows as well. Lots of Coots, Pied-bill Grebes,
Mallards, Teal, Ruddy Ducks (at least 50) and a few Redheads.

John Romano
Madison Wi