[wisb] Chequamegon Bay waterfowl

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 13:36:16 -0700

An unprecedented amount of open water remains on Chequamegon Bay. Only the
lower end is frozen, with open conditions from Bono Creek and Washburn
northward. Late lingering waterfowl I found this morning at multiple vantages
from Ashland to Bayfield included:

2 Tundra Swans (extremely rare January record for us)
275 C. Goldeneye
39 C. Mergansers
9 Red-breasted Mergansers (prev winter records when water open)
2 Greater Scaup (very rare January record)
1 Lesser Scaup (extremely rare January record)
1 Bufflehead (rare January record)

Also 25+ Pine Siskins in Washburn, the first of this species I've seen in
months.

Can't remember if this was posted here or not but the Bayfield CBC on Tues Dec
27 (which I missed) tallied a Gray Catbird in Cornucopia, Killdeer at mouth of
the Onion River, and continuing Tufted Titmouse in Washburn.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady