[wisb] Chequamegon Bay forest-camping & lakeside birding

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:04:50 -0500

I took my field ornithology class out to Birch Grove Campground last night
(just west of Washburn in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest). Our
evening was fantastic, hearing Whip-poor-wills ALL OVER, and at least 3
Barred Owls were heard calling amongst the Common Loons that occasionally
gave their beautifully-haunting call. In addition to the bird calls just
thrilling the students, we even got to see one Whip-poor-will fly and land
on a log near the lakeside (about 50 feet from our campsite), and sit in
place for a few moments! This was the first Whip-poor-will I've ever seen.
This morning was filled with a roar of LEAST FLYCATCHER (easily 15+
individuals heard near/far from our campsite). It quite the wakeup call!
Several Baltimore Orioles singing sweetly, and I heard & saw two
YELLOW-THROATED VIREOS as well. Warblers within the campground vicinity were
seen in verysmall numbers, and the warblers observed consisted of
Black-throated Green, Black-and-white, Yellow, Ovenbird, and Common
Yellowthroat. The class got to finally observe a VEERY (heard the "veer"
call while observing it), and heard a distant HERMIT THRUSH as well. Oh and
the Sapsuckers were making a fun-to-watch ruckus around our campsite too,
with Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and American Robins singing throughout much of
our extended morning.

On the way back into Ashland we stopped at Maslowski Beach, where we had one
SURF SCOTER mixed in with a small group of Redhead and Scaup. One
Bonaparte's Gull was seen with the Ring-billed Gulls and one Herring Gull,
and a lone Ruddy Turnstone made it's way up the shore. The Killdeer parents
with 3 chicks are doing well!

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Ashland, WI

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Bird photography and guided birdwatching tours
www.pbase.com/birdfedr