[wisb] Buff-breasted SPs at Wind Lake sod farms

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:53:36 -0500

Jim Otto and I went over to Lake Michigan today - started at Lion's Den Gorge
near Port Wash and worked our way south to Racine and Wind Lake.  We hit a nice
flock right away at the Lion's Den - unfortunately, it was nearly all Tennessee
Warblers.  A Merlin gave us a nice leisurely flyby.  Hit a couple other small
flocks, again largely TN Warblers, although also a few Black & Whites,
Blackpoll, Magnolia and one or two Confusing Fall Warblers.

We also stopped at Schlitz Audubon, but it was late morning by then and fairly
quiet.  Had a few more Tennessees, both Nuthatches in the same tree, and a
noisy flock of Chickadees that had a Nashville in with them (I think we also
had a Nashville at Lion's Den, come to think of it.)  Best birds at Schlitz
were 2 or 3 Common Nighthawks hunting at high noon.

A brief stop at Shoop Park in Racine produced an immature GBB Gull on the pier
directly behind the clubhouse, two Spotted SPs on the south pier, and a Hooded
Merganser on the lake.  (Neither of us had ever been there before - is more of
the lakeshore visible farther north?  Seemed very overgrown with willows, etc.,
as far as we could see.)

At the sod farms near Wind Lake, we had four Buff-breasted Sandpipers in the
mostly-bare field on the north side of Burmeister Rd., along with an American
Golden Plover and a bunch of Killdeer.  There were two Peregrines working the
turf field to the northeast of the curve at the east end of Burmeister.  (The
four Buffies was one more than I had seen, total, in all my years of birding.)

Peter Fissel
Madison WI