[wisb] Bonaparte's Gulls,shorebirds/Columbia, Dane County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:16:05 -0500

I saw my personal first-of-year Bonaparte's Gulls at several locations in
the two county area. Best spot was DM+I pond in Columbia County where I saw
about a dozen.
Pectoral Sandpipers were also found at a few locations . Best spot was
Harvey-Wangsness pond with about 8.
Two Wilson's Snipe were at the STH 60+51 pond near the southern termination
of STH22. Personal FOY.
A single Greater Yellowlegs was at the WIBU+CTH DM pond on the north side of
CTH DM. Personal FOY.
A single Lesser Yellowlegs was at Harvey-Wangsness pond.
Greater White-fronted Geese numbers are way down but they are still easy to
find. Best spot was the east pond of Goose Pond.
There were about 15 white/blue geese at Goose Pond. Due to high wind and
heat shimmer I am hesitant to call the species, but to the best of my
ability,
they all appeared to be Snow Geese. Snow Geese were seen in small numbers at
other locations.
Swans were also still at Goose Pond. Most were sleeping and hard to identify
but I had several definite Tundra Swan sightings and what looked like at
least
two Trumpeter Swans.
I spent about two hours looking for the Red-necked Grebe at Grassy Lake but
had no luck. Either it was staying out of sight today or it was just making
a stopover when the Riveredge group went there.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County