[wisb] Blue Grosbeak Directions - Racine Co.

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 20:49:12 -0500

Since so many people were asking, I will just post these directions to the
list.  They are as exact as possible, but keep in mind that the bird could
have moved around the wooded area.  From the intersection of Ela Avenue and
Buena Park Road in Rochester, WI (far western Racine County, near the Fox
River) drive down the gravel road and park in the parking lot.  I believe
this land is called the Wadewitz Nature Camp.  Walk on the trail due east
across the field, past the stand of oaks, and then turn north-east and enter
the woods.  We spotted the Blue Grosbeak as part of a large mixed migrant
flock just before the path comes out at the quarry.  Visible field marks
were warm brown body, blue surrounding face darkening towards silvery,
large, conical bill, and bright rufous wingbars.  On Google Earth, there is
a photo quite near the spot marked "Wadewitz Nature Camp".  All the above
mentioned places (the quarry, oak stand, and gravel road) are visible on
Google Earth if you search "Ela Avenue".  I would recommend walking the
entire area, as it could have moved around, and it is quite beautiful
anyway.  Good luck to those looking, I hope the bird sticks around.
Max Witynski
Madison, Dane