[wisb] Blackbird flocks over SE Madison

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:42:37 -0500

The last few days, I've finally been seeing large mixed flocks of
blackbirds streaming towards Nine Springs/Lake Farm Co. Park in the late
afternoon and then back out in the mornings.  Yesterday morning, I
stepped out my front door on the way to work and saw at least a couple
thousand go over my block (I'm about two miles northeast of Nine
Springs, and the flocks head NE in the mornings, presumably to the ag
fields in northeastern Dane and southeastern Columbia Counties to feed
during the day.)

This morning, while waiting for the bus on Pflaum Rd., I heard a huge
flock of blackbirds approaching around 7:15, but I wasn't prepared for
the sheer size.  It was massive - easily ten thousand birds, all going
northeast in a dense linear flock.  Really amazing (as was the sound!)
It appeared to be largely Common Grackles and Red-wings, but I'm sure
there were some Rusties and doubtless Cowbirds mixed in.  They're
usually flying in to roost at Lake Farm Park between 5:30-5:45 p.m. if
anyone wants to go enjoy the spectacle.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.