[wisb] Black-Necked Stilts at Horicon - 3 pair?

  • From: "Dan Jackson" <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WisBirdN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:25:18 -0500

Yesterday afternoon, I found pairs of Black-necked Stilts at 3 different
locations at the Horicon Marsh.  I found the previously reported pairs
of birds across from the historical marker on Hwy 49 and right below the
water control dam on the east end of the big opening on the south side
of Dike Road.  On my way back to Hwy 49 from Dike Road, I also spotted a
pair in a pond directly west of a very sharp curve on Rockvale Road.
This spot is pretty much in line with the east/west part of Dike road
and only about a mile east of the spot on Dike Road where they have been
found for the last few years.  I had seen the pair on Dike Road on my
way in and didn't really look again when I was leaving.  Therefore, it
could have been that same pair if they had left that area.  However, it
is also very possible that it was a third pair since the birds along
Dike Road seem really attached to that spot.

Good Birding,

Dan Jackson

Chaseburg, Vernon County, Wisconsin (Near La Crosse)

www.pbase.com/dejackson

community.webshots.com/user/DanielEJackson