[wisb] Re: Birding Camera

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:52:24 -0600

In addition to Tom's excellent suggestions and overview, I would add that
Canon's newest model, the SX40 HS, was recently released.

This camera has a new CMOS sensor as well as Canon's new Digic V processing
system.  The results?  In my opinion, significantly improved image quality
(IQ).  From my observations and tests, the following improvements are the
most notable:

1) Less digital noise at higher ISOs.  It's pretty amazing (inasmuch as new
models often have precious little more than additional whistles & bells,
mere cosmetic changes, and precious little IQ improvement), because my tests
reveal about a two stop improvement!  I've even tested the SX40 against my
larger sensor G11, and the SX40 gives me images at ISO 800 that look as good
as the G11 at ISO 200.  That's impressive, to say the least.  Especially
when needing higher ISOs to yield sufficiently fast shutter speeds for bird
photography.

2) The SX40 also appears to signficantly reduce (probably digitally) the
purple fringing that's infamous on megazooms.

3) The SX40 also has a burst mode, capable of firing off 10 frames per
second.

For those wanting good reviews of the SX40, and photos of birds taken with
it, I recommed what Stephen Ingraham (who once wrote binocular and scope
reviews, known as "Better View Desired") has been posting at "Digital
Photography Review."  He's shared some pretty impressive bird photos, using
his SX40.

Megazooms, like the SX30 and SX40, are very convenient to lug around while
birding.  They're relatively small and light (esp. compared to a dSLR and
long telephoto!); they also come at a pretty low price.  (And they do a
fantastic job at macrophotography.)  But in my opinion megazooms are much
slower to focus than dSLRs, and are best suited for photographing perched
birds.  DSLRs are easily best for birds in flight.  That's photography:
tradeoffs!

Good birding and bird photography...

Wayne Rohde
Walworth, WI