[wisb] Re: Bird nest ID help

  • From: "Kent" <kentsue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <marci.hess@xxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 18:19:52 -0600

Marci:

This is a Black-capped Chickadee nest.  They line the nest with
different kinds of hair and even insulation tufts--and feathers which
they pull from their breasts.

Chickadees started laying eggs last week throughout central
Wisconsin.  Our first egg was laid on April 24 (assuming that the
hen lays one egg/day).  They have the curious behavior of laying
an egg and then pulling the lining material over it--to keep warm
or prevent dehyration?  I do not know the answer.

After incubation begins, they no longer cover the eggs and
you can check the box and easily see the eggs in the cup.
And wait until you see a circle of chickadee chicks--price-
less!

A beautiful nest in an intriguing cavity nesting songbird.

Kent Hall
Stevens Poin in Portage Co.