[wisb] Re: Bird Calls in the Middle of the Night

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rob121092@xxxxxxxxx, Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 08:40:26 -0500

Rob -

I doubt streetlights have anything to do with it - I frequently hear
diurnal passerines out in the dark middle of nowhere while doing
Nightjar Survey routes.  I had a couple that I couldn't ID last Thursday
- one may have been an Indigo Bunting.  They're often an abbreviated or
garbled version of the regular songs, so I can't always positively ID
them to species (with the exception of "regular" night singers like
Sedge Wrens and Henslow's Sparrows.)

Peter Fissel
Madison WI