[wisb] Bell's Vireo - Arena Boat Landing - Iowa Co.

  • From: Aaron Holschbach <aholschbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wis Birdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 21:15:56 -0500

This evening a BELL'S VIREO was singing along the trail at the Arena
Boat Landing.  The vireo was within 100 yards east of where the trail
exits out of the woods.  In the same area there were three WILLOW
FLYCATHERS and one ALDER FLYCATCHER singing.  Not much further along
this trail the water remain high and continuing would require waders
(or a boat).  If the weather stays dry for the next week as
forecasted, I'm hoping that the water goes down enough so I can check
the area where the White-eyed Vireos nested a couple years ago.

In the past week there have been only low numbers of migrants present
at the Arena Boat Landing, but a PROTHONOTARY WARBLER has been easy to
find for the last few days where River Rd first enters the bottoms.
Just after dark the WHIP-POOR-WILLS and WOODCOCKS have been putting on
a good show from pines and barrens just south of the bottoms.

I also wanted to mention that 2 TRUMPETER SWANS were present today at
Bakken's Pond (Sauk Co).  At first I assumed that this was the
immature Mute Swan that had been there as recent as a few weeks ago,
but I had to take a closer look when the second bird appeared.  This
is the latest in spring that I've seen Trumpeters at Bakken's Pond.

Aaron Holschbach
Arena
Iowa Co.