[wisb] Re: BB help in Waukesha Co.; Answered By Kent Hall

  • From: "Kent" <kentsue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kmjrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John Stuckert" <jstuckert4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 18:22:21 -0600

Hi, John, et al.

We don't worry about them on the Audubon Bluebird Trail in
central Wisconsin.  After raising 19,000 bluebirds in the past
8 years, we would surely have seen mortality due to these
blood-sucking ectoparasites, if it was occurring.

Tom Erdman claims that a student at UW-Green Bay did
an experiment with House Sparrows in which the survival
rate was reduced in those that were parasitized by blow-
flies in the nest. Unfortunately, those data were never published.

Blow flies in our nests are seldom found until the 2nd nests
of EABL's.  I don't know whether it is a matter of average
ambient temperature or not.

If you are concerned about the health of your chicks in the
nests with blowfly larvae, it is a simple matter of taking
some fine grasses or pine needs (red or white preferred),
approximating the size and shape of the nest, and transferring
the chicks to the new nest.  We have done this dozens of times and never
have
had the hens reject their chicks afterwards, to my know-
ledge.

Good luck, John--will you be sending me your data at
the end of the season?  If so, I will send you data sheets
if you do not already have them.

Kent D. Hall, Ph.D., Coordinator
Data Collection, Bluebird Restoration
Association of WI