[wisb] Avocet details; Thank you, Bettie!

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:01:33 -0700 (PDT)

   I  really wasn't planning on heading to the beach for any particular reason,
but I said to myself,  ehhh, what the heck. Just for giggles I thought I'd
check anyway, see if there's any possible wind-blown migrant of the shoreline
there, be-it a gull or otherwise.  And boy did I get the "otherwise" !!!   At
the very south end  of the beach was this winter-plumaged Avocet, just
beautiful,  facing the wind with the gulls, preening every now and then.  Flew
back home to get the camera,  still sitting there when I got back, my youngest
took a couple of photos.  Turned out nice, I'll have to post those, too.

      As for the replies from my "What's wrong w/ this picture",  thanks for
your replies, even though I kind of already knew that most raptors would either
be speed-demons and go with the winds ( i.e.  falcons, sharpies) or just hang
low and post-pone their flight for the day
  (i.e.  all the rest).  I really am anticipating Tuesday to be a much more
active day for the hawks.  By the way, my 118 species I got back in Sept.' 98
has been totalled.  As of the avocet I'm at 125, and could still climb!  Wish
me luck and I'll wish you all good luck with your Tuesday birding.
      From a could-be-busy Migration Station in Oshkosh,
      Paul Bruce