[wisb] Another Black-backed Woodpecker nest, Vilas Co.

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:43:49 -0600

I had the pleasure of aiding Jeff Rusinow to his Lifer Black-backed
Woodpecker in Vilas Co.  I say aiding because Jeff first spotted the
nesting cavity from which a nearly fledged male Black-backed Woodpecker
called.  This young bird begged so loudly we both heard it first while
driving by on Highway 45 north of Conover.  Waiting about 20 minutes at
the nesting cavity, we were rewarded with a striking male Black-backed
repeatedly feeding the youngster. The nest I found about four weeks ago
is abandoned with no Black-backed found in a search of the surrounding area.

Other birds found:

Boreal Chickadee 1.
Evening Grosbeak 1.

Blueberries and Serviceberries are ripening up North.  BUT, a prodigious
number of  Deer Flies and Ticks are there to greet you though mosquitoes
are fewer.

Joe Schaufenbuel
5676 Regent St.
Stevens Point
Portage County, WI 54481
(715) 345-2788

'Eureka!' (I found it) but 'That's funny...'"
--Isaac Asimov