[wisb] American Golden-Plovers at Turtle Valley Wildlife Area

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 05:59:53 -0500

Still trying to eek out some additional shorebirds this "fall," I checked
out Walworth County's TVWA yesterday afternoon.

In that department all I saw at first were scads of killdeers.  After
scanning for quite some time I also found one Lesser Yellowlegs.

But then, just as I was about to leave, I noticed nine more shorebirds fly
in - all of which were American Golden-Plovers.

At least a few shorebirds are showing up at the Turtle!

(Note to visitors to the TVWA: The spot I've been checking --the only one
where I've found much of anything in the way of mudflats-- is located to the
east of County P.  It can be reached by parking at the northernmost of the
pull offs, on the east side of P, and by walking the lane back to the ridge.
The shorebird areas are to the east and southeast of the ridge.)

Wayne Rohde
Walworth, WI