[wisb] Am Avocet

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 18:07:58 -0500

After enjoying the warbler walk at Bay Beach Sanctuary---great time
with lots of warblers and other birds, I checked out several other
spots.  At the 29 pond there were both yellowlegs and 2 Semipalmated
Plovers and Wilson's Phalaropes.
At the Manitowoc impoundment there was an AM AVOCET present the
entire time I was there, and then later with Chuck.  Before I had
gotten Chuck to see the avocet, a flyby Marbled Godwit was seen.
Also there was a strange peep on the back side of the impoundment.
However it was so windy (noonish) already that it was difficult to
id.  One lone Black Tern was accompanying the other  terns and gulls
in the imp.  (A 2nd yr Glaucous Gull was there briefly.)

The Cleveland area was quiet, with Sheboygan even more quiet.  In
both places the wind was unreal.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI