[wisb] Alert: Brief glimpse of larger hummer

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:10:19 -0700 (PDT)

   Good late evening folks,  I had paid a visit to the other half's Grandmother
Wed. afternoon and while we were gabbing in her driveway, a hummingbird,
species definitely unknown, was buzzing around a yew bush, perhaps an easy 30
ft. away. It was clearly out-sizing a rubythoat, in body length, that is, and
the bill was very curved, almost scary to think about mangos, or Anna's, or
whatever this was that had a green back, lighter green flanks, and that bill,
wow!, quite long and decurved.  It's going to bug me real good this time.
  .....and then it happened.  A birders pseudo-nightmare:  While I came back to
the site on my way to work to hang around a bit, watch for this mystery hummer,
I was walking back to the Grandma's driveway and who would be there? but a
cop!!!  I was busted for "being suspicious".  Someone who thought I was a
threat by hangin' around this neighborhood with binocs around my neck and
watching for birds, had tattled on me.  So the Grandma verified who I was and
then it was over.  Mr. Copper apologized and went bye-bye.
     Other bird news, 8 vultures were seen Wed. finding chow at the Hwy. 76
landfill.  Some warblers around home include blackpoll, magnolia, redstarts and
2 Wilson's.  It's all I can think of. Guess I'm too tired, goin' to bed.
     Paul Bruce, Oshkosh
     Winnebago Co.