[wisb] AVOCETS - Dane Co. today

  • From: Pat Ready <pready@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:32:15 -0500

My wife and I spent the afternoon kayaking on the Yahara R. north of
town today.
In the bay off Hwy B there were 2 breeding plumage American Avocets
sitting with a small flock of RB Gulls and 4 or 5 Caspian Terns.
The river is very low because they are fixing the dam in Stoughton so
some good mudflats for shorebirds exist.
Seeing avocets this early does that mean the southward shorebird
migration has begun?

I'll post a few photos later. Time to eat!

Pat Ready
Stoughton
Dane Co.