[wisb] Re: ALERT: RED CROSSBILLS FOREST BEACH MIGRATORY PRESERVE

  • From: mike wanger <misterwanger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 17:06:57 -0500

Hi Bird Nerds:
Here is my ebird post to help you possibly locate the RED CROSSBILLS:

From the main building, take the trail across the street heading northwest.
After 150 yards or so, it tops out in a grouping of 40' pinecone-laden
conifers. A flock was observed there for close to 20 minutes by two of us;
the closest bird at 20 feet. They perched and hung, many near branch-ends,
availing good views of their crossed bills as they attacked the cones.
Flock was a mixture of dull red birds and dull yellow (almost greenish)
birds, presumed adults. Dark wings, no wingbars, notched tails. Flight
calls matched Sibley's red crossbill "calls #1_NY" on my iphone.

I believe Joan and Marilyn saw them in a different spot, so they're likely
on the move. However, the above location has trees with a heavy crop of
cones and so might be a good starting spot.

What a thrill!

Bird on,
Mike Wanger
Milwaukee