[wisb] A Birding Goose Egg for New Year's Day

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 20:17:02 -0600

As far as I remember, this is the first time in 40+ years of birding that I
failed to see a single bird on New Year's Day!

When I looked out our window this morning, there were no birds at our
feeders.  So I filled a feeder with sunflower seed, with the hope that at
least a chickadee might show up.  I even whistled for one.  (They usually
respond.)  By afternoon, I had still seen no birds so I lifted my bins
toward a neighbor's silo (oh, how I hate to even mention this) hoping to
glimpse at least a pigeon.

Later in the day, it was time to watch the Rose Bowl, and I quickly forgot
about birds in favor of mammals and amphibians.  By the time the game was
over, it was dark.  Too dark to bird.

Maybe this is all fitting in light of what a miserable day it was: cold,
windy ... and of course that outcome to the game.

But tomorrow's coming - with the Lake Geneva CBC (so there better be some
birds!) and an afternoon game that most certainly will not have me cheering
for a mammal.

Happy New Year, Wisconsin Birders!

Wayne Rohde
Birdless So Far in Walworth, WI