[wintime] WinTime with TCP/IP Terminals - 'Invalid Booking Record'

  • From: "Brian Thomson" <brian.thomson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wintime@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:44:12 -0000

Hello

Can anybody help?

We have two WinTime systems that have L6 TCP/IP terminals where we get the
message 'Invalid booking record' in Goldwin when Goldwin is trying to
download the booking data from the terminals.

With the first customer with the problem, the system was originally
installed on a Windows95 PC, and everything was working correctly. We then
transferred the system to a WindowsXP PC, and the problem started.

With the second customer with the problem, the system was originally
installed on a WindowsNT PC, and everything was working correctly. We then
transferred the system to a Windows2000 PC, and the problem started.

(We have many installations on Windows2000 and XP that are not experiencing
problems with similar configurations).

What seems to happen is that when a L6 TCP/IP terminal has stored a number
of bookings in the terminal (this number can be as little as 29 bookings,
but normally over 40), Goldwin is unable to complete the download of the
booking data. Goldwin connects to the terminal and polls it normally. The
number of bookings in the terminal is displayed as normal. The message 'TCP
notification:  READ' is displayed repeatedly (this depends on the number of
bookings in the terminal, but usually four times), then the message 'Invalid
booking record' is shown, and the data is not downloaded.

When this occurs, we have to use HTS32 to download the booking data, and use
Goldwin to import it from the saved file. No errors are reported during this
process, leading me to believe that the 'booking record'/data in the
terminal itself is not invalid/corrupt. It is almost as if 'something'
interrupts the data flow from the terminal to Goldwin, which Goldwin then
interprets as an 'Invalid booking record'.

Finding out what this 'something' is that is interrupting the data flow is
very difficult to find! We have tried manipulating the timeouts, tested
various terminals, and we cannot solve the problem.

I am inclined to think that the WinTime/Goldwin software, the L6 TCP/IP
terminals and the customer's physical network cabling are not the problem,
as they were working correctly under W95/WNT, but are having problems with
W2000/XP.

That would leave us with some kind of problem/conflict with W2000/XP/the new
PC hardware with the LAN cards in the L6 TCP/IP terminals and/or the
customer's network.

It also appears that Goldwin can download a larger number of bookings
sucessfully during times when the LAN/WAN is experiencing less traffic (such
as during lunch periods when more staff are not using the network).

The customer, of course, says that there is nothing wrong with any of their
equipment! Any comments/questions would be welcomed.

Thank you, Brian Thomson, Field Support Manager (Scotland)

hfx  time. access. photo id

hfx Ltd, Suite A, Kirkton Business Centre, Kirk Lane, Livingston, West
Lothian, EH54 7AY
Tel:  01506 463 014     Fax:  01506 463 017     Helpdesk:  01279 647 871
E-mail:  brian.thomson@xxxxxxxxx     Web:  www.hfx.co.uk

/// The WinTime mailing list \\\
List Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/wintime/
Administrative contact: wintime-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx