[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: Sam Elamin <hussam_88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:22:54 +0000

Hey All
Here is another question I have been pondering with for awhile, once a job is
printed and spooled, is there any way to change its job properties?
For example from colour to mono?
RegardsSam

> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:02:58 +0100
> Subject: [WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver
> From: clinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi Sam,
>
> YUP, I would always agree on first using a generic approach to things. The
> Driver can always evolve to be more feature rich i.e 2-UP, Copies etc at a
> later stage. Creating a PDF file is pretty simple if you consider using
> some very successful tools out there i.e. GhostScript. At this stage
> unless commercial you don't want to, learning transformation techniques
> could take some time.
>
> RedMon which is a portmonitor/redirector was designed around GhostScript
> and so references are everywhere. Also, GhostScript have started
> developing an XPS to PDF if required BUT this is still early development
> and still much to do.
>
> Unfortunately, you have entered the "Dark Side", no documentation or very
> little... Searching every google thread to see if you can piece it all
> together. I suppose we have all done this over the years and only
> experience has allowed us to succeed. BUT once you get your head around
> it, there really isn't much else that can't be understood.
>
> Have Fun!
> Cheers
> Clinton
>

> > Clinton
> > You raise some very interesting points, the major pro that has me bias to
> > XPS is that it is well documented and developing a driver for it will be
> > the path of least resistance.But thanks to the knowledgeable people of
> > this forum it sees the driver isnt uploading the document but in reality
> > its the port monitor that does this.
> > And exporting it to MAC/Linex is very important so since most printers
> > that handle Postscript can handle PCL, I am just tempted to go down the
> > PostScript path. Also if a site has no printers that handle Postscript I
> > can always just convert them to PDF.
> >
> > So maybe just write a PDF printer driver if I can but if its a steep
> > learning curve then a simple post script driver and let the port monitor
> > do the uploading for me.
> > I can start by supporting a generic HP PostScript driver as a first
> > stepping stone to get my head around the print driver world
> >
> > Does that seem reasonable ?
> > RegardsSam
> >> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:09:03 +0100
> >> Subject: [WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver
> >> From: clinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>
> >> Hi Sam,
> >> Another good reference.
> >> http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/ps/index_specs.html
> >>
> >> Converting PostScript to PDF is a simple task you could make use of
> >> GhostScript. I did develop a PS to PDF and PDF to PS as commercially it
> >> was required so not sure on the performance, BUT do know it was a great
> >> reference for me in the past as to how things work in the world of
> >> PostScript and other graphical formats.

> [...]

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/