[wineeg] Photo/audio stimulation using PSYTASK

  • From: Joe Siri Ekgren <vennskap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wineeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:37:08 +0100

A few of us on the list are trying to get going on Evoked Potentials
and Event Related Potentials. A warm thanks is hereby extended to
Juri and Valery, who have sent some info on platform requirements, an
installation guide, and some tips on troubleshooting, all included
below.

(Getting the psytask to work on a laptop requires a bit more
research. Evidently some laptops have soundblaster compatible sound
chips, but if they will work with Psytask is an open question. More
on that later.)

Enjoy!
Joe

--------
1.  Can I run the Psytask program on Windows XP.

No.  The PSYTASK has been developed for DOS. Windows XP can not
emulate DOS mode.

To run PSYTASK you need to find a computer with DOS 6.2 or Windows 95
or Windows 98 or Windows ME. It could be an old computer with simple
processor and limited memory.  PENTIUM I  166 with 4 Mb RAM and
simple VGA video card would be a good .computer for this purpose.If
you also plan  to present sounds you need to install an OLD(!!!)
sound card and DOS DRIVERS (!!!) for this sound card. We recommend
you to use the next sound cards: Creative Labs SB 16, Creative Labs
Wav 32, Creative Labs AWE 32, Creative Labs AWE 64, Creative Labs SB
Live! Value (not Creative Labs SB Live! 5.1).  All of these cards
emulate SB 16 standard for DOS mode.

We understand that the DOS platform for Psytask is not a good
solution and we are working on the development of PSYTASK program for
Windows XP.

We plan to perform this task before the fall of this year.

2.  How can I synchronize the slave computer with the core computer
to perform behavioral tasks with my clients?

The slave computer is used for stimuli presentation in behavioral
paradigms.  The core computer is used for EEG recording during these
behavioral tasks.

To implement this mode you need to do the following steps:
I. To install PSYTASK on the slave computer.  To do it, you need to
copy the PSYTASKE folder (is delivered on the CD) to the hard disk,
open this folder and run SETUP.EXE program.  NOTE!!!  The SETUP.EXE
program works in DOS mode only.

II. PSYTASK program needs 550 kB of memory and 1 mB of Extended
memory. You can check memory using command MEM in the command line
mode. If there is no enough memory on your slave computer you need to
modify config.sys and autoexec.bat files. It might be a hartd task
for you if do not know DOS.  So, please, use the advise of an
expert.  Anyway, usually
config.sys and autoexec.bat files contain the following lines:

CONFIG.SYS:
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:ON
FILES=40
BUFFERS=20

AUTOEXEC.BAT
@ECHO OFF
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;

Those are minimum lines you will need.  Any extra lines should be
eliminated.  We recommend not to delete those extra lines but to add
to beginning of the lines  the word "rem " (without quotes).  This
makes the line inactive.
If you install the sound card and the DOS drivers for it, a number of
lines will be added to config.sys and autoexec.bat files.

III.  You need to synchronize two computers for recording evoked
job.
You need to do the next steps:
1.  Physically connect two computers by means of a null-modem cable.
Doing it, Switch Off!!! both computers to prevent a damage of the COM
ports.
2.  Turn on both computers.
3.  Start Psytask.
4.  Press a button "Change parameters of External devices" and check
the parameters of External synchronization (left top fields)
These parameters should be:

Input port: COM1 or COM2 (depends of cable connection)
Baud rate: 57600
Word length: 8 bits
Stop: bits 1
Parity: none

If it is correct, return to the main menu.

5. Switch Psytask to "Slave mode"

6. Start WinEEG

7. Perform a command "Stimuli Presentation Programs" (Menu "Setup")
and press button "Update".
If the connection is correct, after one minute or so a new list of
the presentation programs will appear on the screen.
Congratulations!  The tow computers are connected/

If the connection is wrong the massage ""Slave computer does not
respond" will appear on the screen.

8. In the last case, you need to change the synchronization ports and
repeat step 7.  Remember, that you might need to change the
synchronization port both in WinEEG program and Psytask program.

To change the synchronization port in WinEEG,  perform a command
"Equipment Parameters" (Menu "Setup") and change Synchronization
port.. (After that repeat step 7)

To change the synchronization port in Psytask return to main menu
(key Esc) press a Button (Option) Change parameters of External
devices, change Synchronization port (left top field), return to
Slave mode and repeat step 7.

You will probably need to try four combinations or more.  So, please
be patient.

9. If your attempts are unsuccessful you need to check cable and
ports. You can do this by using Norton Commander.  Run Norton
Commander on both computers and try to link them.

Finally.  If you change the list of presentation programs or any
other parameters in those programs in Psytask you will need to
perform step 7 for synchronize the two lists of parameters.

--
Joe