[windows2000] ssh and linksys w/Win2k/XP

  • From: Scott Ehrlich <scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:53:26 -0500 (EST)

At home I have a Win2K box, WinXP box, Debian Linux box, Linksys 8-port
broadband/dsl router, and do frequent sshing.

I discovered my GUI-based ssh connections from my Windows boxes time out
after a short period of time of no activity (can be under a minute).
The ssh clients I use most often are putty and securecrt (latest of each).

As a trial, this past Saturday morning I established several ssh
connections to accounts I have, including my Debian box on the lan.

I used putty, securecrt, and Cygwin's command-line ssh clinets.
I also established an ssh tty-based session from my debian box to a work
UNIX host.

I found putty and securecrt disconnected as expected, but the cygwin ssh
sessions remained up and running (including through the writing of this
message).

So I wonder, what is it about a gui ssh client which would cause a timeout?

Ideas?

Scott