[windows2000] Re: remotely get network settings on Win2k machines

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:10:33 -0700

From: "Brian Anderson" <BAnderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
I've been tasked with getting some network settings off a sample of machines across a statewide WAN. The machines are all win2k, set up with static IP addresses in an NT4 domain. There's about 30 that I have to get. The main thing I'm looking for is what the default gateway setting is for each box (I already have the IP addresses). This is on a client's network, so I don't really have access to every resource.

Is there a command line method that I might be able to do this? I can't think of anything other than ipconfig, but I can't seem to find any switches that would allow for remote polling.

or am I out of luck and will have to call each one of these users and walk them thru it?

1) Don't post HTML to tech lists, it's annoying to people who have secure mailers that don't auto-render all code.
2) Don't post a new question on an existing thread, it annoys people with threaded mailers
3) Don't top-post it messes up the online archives making it harder for people to find answers in the future.

Ok, now that I'm done bitching, here's how you solve your problem. The default gateway settings are stored in the Registry (like just about everything else) and you can use your standard remote registry management tools to extract what you need. The relevant key should look something like this:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{some long hex code identifying your adapter}

And you want the value of:

DefaultGateway

My recommendation is to slap together a quick perl script that uses your favorite remote registry tool to dump the entire contents of the interfaces key to a text file named the same as the computer it came from, then have it loop through all the computers on your list. You could write something fancy to get closer than that, but with only 30 workstations it's probably not worth the hassle.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"We are successful when our bosses wonder what it is we do all day." -- Tim Mullen

Share your photos without swamping your Inbox. Get Hotmail Extra Storage today! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es