[windows2000] Re: off topic: USB Cable Length

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:55:39 +0200

Greg Reese <> scribbled on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:47 PM:

> who knows what the maximum length is for a usb cable?
> we are putting in a ceiling mount projector and want to run a usb cable
> from the projector down to a wall plate we put in for connecting the vga
> etc.

My experience is that 2m works almost always. 3m works reliable if the
is good quality. 4-5m rarely, if ever, works even with good quality cables.

I think the theoretical max length is somewhere around 5m.

In any case, this certainly didn't work during my experiment using
usb-over-ethernet with a 25m(...) tp-cable between the adapters.

Some projectors can use wifi to transfer the image from computer to projector.
Our Benq roof-mount projector can, but I think it may be considered being a
specialty product. This might be a better bet, if you need anything over 3-5m.

# Sorin Srbu                            [Sysadmin, Systems Engineer]
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile: +46 (0)701-718023
# Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#                                       Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
# MotD follows:
# Many of our departmental PCs won't run Vista. They don't make cinnamon buns
either. In both cases nobody here much cares. -Me