[windows2000] Re: (no subject)

  • From: David Kleinman <dkleinman77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:43:54 -0800 (PST)

If I have Wins in my envirorment and I go Native, shouldn't Netbios be fine for
legacy applications?  Do I really need the AD client if I just want my clients
to logon and access domain resources?
 mustafa <mustafa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The following is from a guy called Mario, I hope it is of some use to you:

With the release of Windows 2000, support for the NetBIOS naming interface
is no longer required for networking computers, and this coupled with the
tight coupling of the Active Directory and Domain Naming System (DNS) will
see the use of NetBIOS decline over time. In the meantime, upgrading your
domain to Windows 2000 does not dispense with the need for NetBIOS support
on your network, or affect the degree of support you currently have.
After upgrade you can look at discontinuing the use of NetBIOS and WINS if
the following conditions are met:
7There are no clients such as Windows for Workgroups, Windows 9x, or Windows
NT 4.0, and no servers running Windows NT 4.0 that use NetBIOS. NetBIOS
names can still be required on your network to provide basic file and print
services and support for many legacy applications used on client computers
running under earlier versions of Windows operating systems.
You should assess the impact of legacy applications and services in your
testing plan.
7You have a pure Windows 2000 network and are sure that all computers and
applications on your network are able to function using another naming
service such as DNS. Network naming is a vital service for locating
computers and resources throughout your network, even where NetBIOS names
are not required.
The Windows 2000 WINS client caches resolved names locally, and uses a
component called the Caching Resolver to look in this cache before
submitting a query to DNS. The host file is cached as soon as the client
starts and any updates to the host file are reflected in the cache
immediately. The name resolution sequence is as follows:
1. Attempt name resolution from the client cache.
2. If resolution from the client cache fails, the client attempts name
resolution through DNS.
3. If DNS name resolution fails, the client attempts resolution through
WINS.
As a result, assuming that you have implemented sufficient change control
over your new clients as you have upgraded them, and once all legacy
conditions have been removed, the switch away from NetBIOS and WINS should
be seamless.

Mario